www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [License-discuss] [FTF-Legal] Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy
Date Sun, 24 May 2015 15:03:03 GMT
Hi -

This quote:

> I think that is an Apache rule, not an Eclipse rule. See below for a comment on what
notification *is* required.

> and (2) that
> anyone who modifies and redistributes *derivative works of Eclipse software*
> must disclose the source code of *those derivative works*.

Is this any changes made to EPL licensed source code, or is it viral like GPL?

Isn't this derivative works question and answer the best way to distinguish between class
A, B and X?

Whatever changes to policy that may be made these should simplify a project's decision about
incorporating other code.

Something as simple as:

Class A - commingle freely with AL code.
Class B - keep source separate, link to "original",  readme with downstream warnings about
what functionality is lost.
Class X - use only if completely unaltered. Source code is not used in product only libraries
and binaries that are unaltered. Keep source only to protect from disappearance of the project
in a private archive.

All FOSS can be used and then the question becomes how and PMCs can decide if their community
can accept use within the above looser guidelines.

I think this may be what Larry is driving towards, but it is hard to tell in the blizzard
of emails and ad hominem.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 23, 2015, at 10:03 AM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
>
> Mike Milinkovich wrote:
> > I hope that helps. We certainly want to do whatever is necessary to ensure that
the ASF feels comfortable using EPL-licensed code.

> Mike, as always from you, wonderful!
>
> Me too! That's why I proposed an unambiguous new Apache Third Party License Policy. I
have had no worse motives than that.

> /Larry

love it when we use their projects. Please use more!

> Can our projects freely aggregate with Eclipse software without infecting
> our other contributions and distributed software?
>
> I have no idea what you mean by "infect". The EPL is not a "viral" license.
>

> IIUC, the only important things your Eclipse license require that aren't
> essentially the same in our Apache License 2.0 are (1) that we inform people
> of this incorporation of your software in our NOTICE file;
>
> I think that is an Apache rule, not an Eclipse rule. See below for a comment on what
notification *is* required.

> and (2) that
> anyone who modifies and redistributes *derivative works of Eclipse software*
> must disclose the source code of *those derivative works*.
>
> I would phrase that differently. The requirement is not just to "...disclose the source
code...", it is to make that source code available under the Eclipse Public License.

> There are additional requirements for the ASF as well, such as providing a pointer to
where the source code for the distributed EPL code can be found. So in the case of Tomcat
distributing the EPL-licensed ecj, I would hope that somewhere in the documentation there
is a pointer to where the source can be found. (I have not checked.) A pointer to the relevant
repository at eclipse.org would suffice.