www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy
Date Mon, 11 May 2015 15:14:08 GMT
One reason why Apache communities are strong is because we have consistency in our policies
across all projects. The licensing policy tells me that, as an adopter of ASF code, I can
make any modifications I need to, whether in ASF code or in a dependency, and I will not trigger
a reciprocity clause.

The critical thing here is "whether in ASF code or a dependency".

Under this proposal this important community benefit goes away. At the ASF we are for community
over code. When considering adjustments to our existing policies we should not forget this.

Furthermore, under this proposal, where individual PMCs decide on local policy, we end up
with some ASF projects not being able to use some other ASF code. Since our foundation is
a "community if communities" we should be wary of such a policy change which creates barriers
between our communities.

I find the proposal in its current form unacceptable for these reasons. That said,  if a specific
project has a specific issue it wants to address then we should discuss that issue rather
than a broad sweeping policy that undermines the very foundations of our foundation.

Ross

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: Lawrence Rosen<mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
Sent: ‎5/‎10/‎2015 7:35 PM
To: legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>
Cc: Lawrence Rosen<mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
Subject: RE: Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy

Don't be scared, Brane. I'm not trying to get you or Apache involved in some lawsuit. If YOU
are afraid of the GPL, then don't incorporate such components in your projects. But don't
dictate a GPL policy for MY project. Point of evidence: AOO already includes GPL dictionaries
in its distributed Apache software. I bet nobody gives a damn.

/Larry