www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Proposal: Disclosure of patents by Apache projects
Date Sat, 23 May 2015 05:51:58 GMT
I think the point is that almost every line of code you write is probably covered by a nonsense
patent these days.

I also like to ask to not over-interpret the recent SA patent for memory caches (which to
me seems to have been the trigger for this discussion). Sometimes companies patent something
to use it desctructively or are even patent trolls. But by FAR most patents nowadays just
get filed for defensive reasons.

I bet that at least 2/3rd of patents these days do not hold in court. But it’s easier to
just reply with a ‚oh btw, we have patented this ${insertBetrandsQuote} ourselves as well‘
than to go through a 2 years legal battle.

At the end it’s simply impossible to enlist all possible patents some ASF project ‚potentially
infringes‘ as this list would be longer than our source code itself ;) As long as we don’t
know about established patents which hit us we should just ignore them. At the end of the
day each ‚users‘ must check the risks themselves.

LieGrue,
strub