www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy
Date Sun, 10 May 2015 19:52:37 GMT
Hi Larry,

I'm quite interested in this topic, but unfortunately, I don't seem understand your suggestion.
I'll just strip out the sections that appear quite clear and leave in those that are not:

On 10.05.2015, at 20:32, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> When technically appropriate for that software in the judgment of the PMC, Apache projects
may accept contributions under ANY OSI-approved open source license. Such software may now
be included in Apache aggregations that, as described above, will be licensed to the public
under Apache License 2.0.

I believe that "aggregation" is the word not to miss here - unfortunately, the word is not
defined. To me "aggregation" means something like that the contribution is a non-essential
component and there is no direct definitive dependency to it, e.g. via a inversion-of-control
or plugin API.

> ·         Downstream users and re-distributors of Apache software can continue to incorporate
all of our open source software into their own products unmodified without incurring any special
derivative work reciprocity obligations.

> ·         Modifiers and re-distributors of Apache software will now need to read the
NOTICE files to determine whether they have any derivative work reciprocity requirements for
specific contributions.

Hm, in one sentence you say that there are no reciprocity obligations and in the next you
say that we need to read the NOTICE file to watch out for reciprocity obligations. What am
I missing here?

Cheers,

-- Richard