www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org>
Subject Re: [License-discuss] [FTF-Legal] Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy
Date Mon, 25 May 2015 11:18:30 GMT
Hi Larry,

On 24/05/15 01:46, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> This is not just an idle question: Would the authors and promoters of
> the MPL give the same answers to Apache as Mike Milinkovich gave below
> for the EPL? Are there any unique characteristics of MPL-licensed
> software that we should worry about in ASF aggregations other than what
> we'd need to do for any EPL-licensed contributions?

Normally, even if I answer such questions, I would remind the person
asking to consult a lawyer ;-)

I am not familiar with the entire context of the question, but here are
some remarks which will hopefully help.

The copyleft of the MPL 2.0 depends on the definition of Modifications
in section 1.10 of the license[0]. MPLed code and its Modifications
("Covered Software") fall under the MPL; other code does not, and is
unaffected by any of the MPL's terms. Section 3.3 says: "You may create
and distribute a Larger Work under terms of Your choice, provided that
You also comply with the requirements of this License for the Covered
Software."

So if you want to take some MPLed code and aggregate it with other code
and distribute the result, the terms of the MPL have no effect on the
licensing of that other code. You do, of course, have to follow the MPL
for the MPLed code - what that means depends on whether you are
distributing only in source form (section 3.1) or also in executable
form (section 3.2).

Our FAQ might provide further enlightenment:
https://www.mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/FAQ.html

Gerv

[0] "'Modifications' means any of the following:

* any file in Source Code Form that results from an addition to,
deletion from, or modification of the contents of Covered Software; or

* any new file in Source Code Form that contains any Covered Software."