www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy
Date Mon, 11 May 2015 10:06:34 GMT
Hi Larry,

You posted a draft license policy for the ASF that would, in my opinion
(and probably in the opinion of those who wrote it and those who use
it), encourage ASF projects to violate one of the most widespread
licenses used in the open source world. When I pointed that out, you
basically said not to worry ("be afraid") because you're already looking
for loopholes in the license.

This is not about fear of the GPL but about respect for others' wishes
and intent. Regardless of whether there is or is not such a loophole,
the intent of the GPL, as described on innumerable occasions by the FSF,
has always been crystal clear, and far as I'm concerned, so has the
wording. It is IMO against the ASF's published goals to define policy by
actively looking for ways to circumvent the provisions of this or that
license; that's totally against the spirit of FLOSS and our proclaimed
"public good" mandate.

FWIW, I've not been trying to "dictate" anything to you. I'm just
pointing out what I think is a fatal flaw in your proposal. If you
actually have an interest in discussing things, you could start by not
sidestepping my questions and telling me how copyright attorneys already
have undermining the GPL well in hand. All this kind of response does is
support the stereotype that lawyers have no respect for anything but
their own high opinion of themselves.

One more thing I have to respond to before I leave this conversation:

> But don't rely on the DRAFT Apache Third Party License Policy to prevent the rest of
us from doing what we find technically useful when our PMCs agree to it and we document it
in our NOTICE file.

1. As far as I'm aware, there is no "DRAFT" Apache Third Party License
Policy. There is an existing ASF policy, and there's your draft proposal
for a different policy (which, being a proposal, is indeed irrelevant to
PMC decisions).

2. I do expect that all PMCs follow published ASF policy. ASF projects
should follow ASF rules; if they find them too limiting, they're always
free to set up somewhere else.

-- Brane