www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy
Date Sun, 10 May 2015 18:32:01 GMT
DRAFT: Apache Third Party License Policy (May 10, 2015)

Apache projects have long been universal donors to many other software
projects around the world. We are proud of that. We intend to continue that
tradition by requiring that all software aggregations distributed by Apache
Software Foundation will be licensed to the public under the Apache License
2.0. This means that all of our licensees around the world are free to:

*         Use Apache software for any purpose.

*         Make and distribute copies.

*         Create and distribute derivative works.

*         Access and use the source code.

*         Combine Apache and other software.

In order to foster our Foundation community ethic to ensure the widest free
participation in the open source software community, Apache has now decided
to become also a universal acceptor of other open source software licensed
to us from around the world.

When technically appropriate for that software in the judgment of the PMC,
Apache projects may accept contributions under ANY OSI-approved open source
license. Such software may now be included in Apache aggregations that, as
described above, will be licensed to the public under Apache License 2.0.

Because Apache projects may now incorporate third party open source software
into our software aggregations, we have added the following procedures for
Apache software releases:

*         Because all Apache project contributions will be licensed to
Apache under an OSI-approved open source license, the above list of five
fundamental software freedoms continues to apply to all Apache software.
Downstream users and re-distributors of Apache software can continue to
incorporate all of our open source software into their own products
unmodified without incurring any special derivative work reciprocity
obligations.

*         All releases containing any non-Apache open source licensed
contributions will be explicitly identified in a NOTICE file that our
projects will create. The PMC is responsible to ensure that the text in the
NOTICE file expressly satisfies the notice and disclosure requirements of
all relevant contribution licenses.

*         Modifiers and re-distributors of Apache software will now need to
read the NOTICE files to determine whether they have any derivative work
reciprocity requirements for specific contributions.

You may influence the inclusion or exclusion of specific third party
contributions under OSI-approved licenses by joining the Apache project. All
such decisions are made by Apache projects in public.