www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy
Date Mon, 18 May 2015 18:24:00 GMT

> On May 18, 2015, at 2:13 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
>
> Geir Magnusson asked:
>> Thought experiment - would you advocate including as core functionality
>> non-open commercial software under a free-as-in-beer license
>> as long as it was noted as such in the NOTICE file?
>
> No. I specifically identified FOSS software. OSI and FSF and Creative
> Commons are perfectly capable of identifying such FOSS licenses without us
> needing a complicated list created by our own VP of Legal based on mystical
> categories and individual JIRA requests. By the way, our downstream users
> can still do that commercial stuff if they want to!

Sure, but why not? As you noted, "Most downstream users (99.9% of AOO users, for example)
will be able to ignore entirely the NOTICE file because they won't create and distribute derivative
works for which they might have ..."  an obligation to the commercial entity.

And for those that do want to make and distribute a derivative work, the odds are that they'd
be better able to negotiate acceptible redistribution terms w/ a commercial entity than a
random copyleft-ed FLOSS project.

>> Being able to create and distribute derivative works is one of the things
> that
>> IMO makes open source so magical.
>
> Every FOSS license allows the creation of derivative works!  Magical indeed!
> :-)

But some place unacceptable (to us) restrictions on distribution.

> FOSS is never a land mine!

When it's hidden?  yes it is.

> As a reminder, this is how we should define FOSS for Apache:
>
> .	Use Apache software for any purpose.
> .	Make and distribute copies.
> .	Create and distribute derivative works.
> .	Access and use the source code.
> .	Combine Apache and other software.

You keep dropping important things from your definition (like terms under which derivative
works can be redistributed).

geir