www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject Amateurs and professionals
Date Sun, 17 May 2015 02:46:16 GMT
Hi Henri,

Please don't be insulted because I categorized your and others' hard volunteer work with Apache
Legal-JIRA as "amateur". I appreciated your effort, even though your JIRA actions spewed into
my Inbox all last Sunday and Monday when I was concentrating on other things, such as eliminating
the very need for most of those JIRAs in the first place. :-)

Of all the non-lawyers I talk to here, you are the most knowledgeable and friendly that I've
met so far. I always welcome your advice and counsel.

I'm an amateur too. I used to teach computer programming at Stanford, but since I changed
careers more than 20 years ago I'm a rank amateur at that. Please don't ask me to advise any
Apache PMC on any technical decisions.

I love mathematics and physics, but please don't ask me to actually calculate Cristoffel symbols
with any accuracy. [1]

When I briefly joined the Apache board, at our private off-site I was asked to serve as Apache
treasurer. I told them I'd done that in small non-profits before but was too amateur to take
on financial responsibilities here with a million dollar budget mostly spent on computer infrastructure.
Another board amateur was named Treasurer, and a board amateur was made responsible for Apache
Legal Affairs.

We have a long-time bad habit of assigning important financial and legal affairs to amateurs
here. Apache is too big and our software too valuable for that now.

But Henri and I already have jobs, so we're not applying for those tasks.

I've said this here before to little avail, but I am still here trying to influence human
behavior.

No insult intended!

/Larry

"If this were legal advice it would have been accompanied by a bill."

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoffel_symbols