www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Steve Blackmon <sblack...@apache.org>
Subject Incubator-streams social networking service test data
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:38:40 GMT
Good afternoon,

During a recent IPMC release vote, it was recommended that the project seek
guidance from this group.

Release Vote Thread:
http://markmail.org/message/p2jislr5tqtx24ij

At the core of the issue is whether the project can and/or should package
test data sourced from commercial data providers without explicit
permission from the data provider or from the individuals who may have
authored the content or been mentioned within the content.

Why does the project wants to do this?  By running unit and integration
tests over real-world data, we gain higher assurance that the project's
modules will work consistently as designed against these feeds in the wild.

Pending a resolution, we've taken the interim step of removing all such
content from the project master branch.  The 0.1-incubating source release
did contain the test data in question, so any required follow-up actions
vis-a-vis that release should also be addressed.

I believe there is a valid argument that some content should be permitted
as packaged test data without the burden of seeking permission - for
example posts made from official Apache accounts could be argued to belong
to Apache, and thus Apache should be allowed to licensed and redistributed
that content as it sees fit.

However, we understand and respect that the decision of what is or isn't ok
belongs to the Foundation's leadership, and the project will comply with
any such decisions.

Steve Blackmon
sblackmon@apache.org