www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Apache Foundation position on copyleft licenses
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:36:50 GMT
"not necessarily" is not correct. We do not endorse these views as a foundation. Full stop.

There are plenty of people who do, but the foundation does not take positions on these things.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: Andrea Pescetti<mailto:pescetti@apache.org>
Sent: ‎1/‎28/‎2015 5:34 AM
To: legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>
Subject: Re: Apache Foundation position on copyleft licenses

Jim Jagielski wrote:
> HOWEVER, the POV expressed does NOT reflect the POV of
> the ASF itself, and so it must be *clearly* stated that
> the page is the viewpoint either of the AOO PMC itself (and
> only the PMC) or a specific individual.
> Please make the required changes asap.

I've added a disclaimer to the page, at the end of
http://www.openoffice.org/why/why_compliance.html

It's not what you asked for, but it does clarify that the ASF does not
necessarily endorse views expressed there. In this way it can stay even
if the page is rewritten using a different tone (something I've proposed
to do a long time ago, for the record).

Deleting the page as suggested by Henri is not an option. That page has
value for users who may legitimately wonder about differences with
respect to proprietary and copyleft software respectively.

Now, if the first result on search engines for "ASF position copyleft"
led to a page where I could see what the ASF position is...

I wonder why the e-mail was directed here. The OpenOffice PMC is able to
fix its own website without a discussion on legal-discuss. Anyway, now
that the disclaimer has been added, I see no value in continuing the
legal-discuss thread.

Regards,
   Andrea.