www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Apache Foundation position on copyleft licenses
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:38:12 GMT
<With my VP Legal hat on>

FWIW, I understand the motivation behind the statement and even
the "somewhat overboard" take on copyleft: TDF and LO is, after
all, who this is directed to and it is a direct response to their
oft-made claims that permissive licenses are bad. In fact, I
would even claim that as much bad blood exists between AOO and
LO for Oracle "giving" OO to Apache, and not LO, there is also
the "religious" licensing aspect.

HOWEVER, the POV expressed does NOT reflect the POV of
the ASF itself, and so it must be *clearly* stated that
the page is the viewpoint either of the AOO PMC itself (and
only the PMC) or a specific individual.

Please make the required changes asap.