www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Foundation position on copyleft licenses
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2015 00:52:18 GMT
Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> My observation was only that it's not clear if this is the position
> of the AOO PMC as a whole, or the position of an individual. From the
> ASF perspective I think the goal is to make it clear it’s not an ASF
> position (which current wording does).

Good. So we are done with the discussion on this list. For the PMC side,
we'll not handle it on this list.

> From: Rob Weir [mailto:rob@robweir.com]
> I think that was the purpose of Andrea's "not necessarily" wording.
> This is conventional language in disclaimers that addresses this very
> concern.  You want to say that some authority neither agrees nor
> disagrees with the content.  It is a bit fragile to say anything more
> definite, since the content of the page can change over time

I confirm Rob captured the purpose of my "not necessarily endorsed by
the ASF" wording: it is irrelevant to know whether the page (as it
changes over time) does or does not reflect the ASF views (that,
moreover, are not clearly stated anywhere, on purpose). What matters is
that nobody can extrapolate sentences from that page and present it as
an official point of view of the ASF. Anyway, if we found a wording that
is satisfactory for everyone, even better.

Regards,
   Andrea.