www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject Fw: Fwd: Apache Foundation position on copyleft licenses
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:11:47 GMT
Hello ASF Legal Committee --
I'm not sure how you handle such queries, but I thought this might be of interest.
Please advise if I should be forwarding this to another channel.
Kind thanks,Sally
= = = = =
vox +1 617 921 8656
skype sallykhudairi
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anthony Towns <aj@erisian.com.au>
Date: Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:19 AM
Subject: Apache Foundation position on copyleft licenses
To: human-response@apache.org

Hi!

I was at Bradley Kuhn's talk at linux.conf.au 2015 last week, and was struck by a quote he
attributed to the Apache Software Foundation which compared the SFLC's efforts to enforce
GPL compliance with the BSA's campaigns on software piracy, and then went on to call the SFLC
worse. The remarks and slide can be found at approximately the 20 minute mark in the recording
on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ItFjEG3LaA#t=19m52s

Doing a google search for the quote, I found a hit on the Apache OpenOffice.org website:
  http://www.openoffice.org/why/why_compliance.html
which although it's a (somewhat major) project rather than the apache site itself, doesn't
give any indication that it's authored or authorised by someone other than the Apache Foundation.
I couldn't find any indication via web.archive.org that that page predated Apache's curation
of the OpenOffice.org project (I wondered if it might have been something Oracle would write,
rather than the Apache Foundation).​ Doing some more searching, I found a svn log that seems
to indicate it's primarily authored by Rob Weir with minor edits by Andrea Pescetti (who I
understand is the VP for Apache OpenOffice):
  ​http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/why/why_compliance.mdtext?view=log
Is this really an accurate representation of the Apache Foundation's current stance on copyleft
licenses, the GPL and the SFLC's enforcement efforts?
Cheers,aj
--
Anthony Towns <aj@erisian.com.au>