www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Wikipedia Content
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2014 05:21:59 GMT
The app (Tour De Flex) is here http://flex.apache.org/tourdeflex/index.html

Click on “Apache Flex Components and Features” then click on “Apache Flex 4.8” or
any of the other releases.

Compare to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Flex

Tour De Flex is a collection of examples, but the text copied from wikipedia isn’t really
a part of a collection of text copied from other places.

-Alex

From: Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org<mailto:bayard@apache.org>>
Date: Sunday, November 30, 2014 at 6:29 PM
To: ASF Legal Discuss <legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>>,
Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com<mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com>>
Subject: Re: Wikipedia Content

I said 'strong' because the GPL also identifies separate & independent works as not being
derived/adaptions. They seem akin in their copyleftness.

From the original mail:

"Apache Flex wants to copy content from that page and display it in an app."

Baking the content in an application did not, without more information, sound like a separate
& independent work to me. i.e it doesn't sound like a collection in the final product.

Hen

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com<mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com>>