www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Esteve Fernandez <est...@apache.org>
Subject Re: using the apache cla for another project
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 00:28:45 GMT
Thank you all for your responses.

We're finally going to put the CLA in place and start requiring
contributors to sign it. However, we at OSRF wondered why ASF only requires
committers to sign the CLA, but not external contributors.

We see that it's easier for contributors to submit contributions by not
making them sign the CLA and also that it's covered by clause 5 of the
Apache 2 license. So, doesn't that clause also cover contributions made by
committers? We want to make our contributors' lifes easier too, so if we
can only require committers to sign the CLA, that'd be make it all much
simpler.

Thanks again.