www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Hunspell Dictionary Usage
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2014 07:15:54 GMT
Sorry to complicate this thread more, but I went to the link Justin posted.  There is another
page on their site that Henri pointed out which is [2]
There it says the license is "BSD/MIT-like".  Is that good enough for the ASF?  If you look
at the README that comes with the en_US dictionary, the first part only mentions that one
of the two files (the affix file) is under BSD and doesn't explicitly say the other file is.
 In fact, it reads:
-----
The collective work is Copyright 2000-2014 by Kevin Atkinson as well
as any of the copyrights mentioned below:

  Copyright 2000-2014 by Kevin Atkinson

  Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell these word
  lists, the associated scripts, the output created from the scripts,
  and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee,
  provided that the above copyright notice appears in all copies and
  that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
  supporting documentation. Kevin Atkinson makes no representations
  about the suitability of this array for any purpose. It is provided
  "as is" without express or implied warranty.
-----

Then, when you go to the OpenOffice dictionaries at [3] and look at the README there you get
this:

-----

This dictionary is based on a subset of the original
English wordlist created by Kevin Atkinson for Pspell
and  Aspell and thus is covered by his original
LGPL license.

----

So, I'm wondering if you agree that the README properly makes this the license for this dictionary
Apache-compatibile and thus we can argue that a spell-checker-only "product" is ok to release.

[2] http://wordlist.aspell.net/other-dicts/
[3] http://archive.services.openoffice.org/pub/mirror/OpenOffice.org/contrib/dictionaries/