www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2014 22:39:07 GMT
dropped dev@vcl and OP

On 25 September 2014 21:47, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
> On 25/09/2014 21:13, Andy Kurth wrote:
>> Mr. Truesdale,
>> I have unsubscribed the address gary.truesdale@hp.com from the
>> dev@vcl.apache.org list.
>>
>> If you find that you regret leaving the list and participating as a
>> member of our community, you can always resubscribe by simply sending an
>> email message to dev-subscribe@vcl.apache.org.
>>
>> And then if you rethink things and decide the list just isn't for you,
>> simply send an email message to dev-unsubscribe@vcl.apache.org.
>
> I suspect a poorly configured out-of-office auto-reply is at the root of
> this. That combined with some spam that uses a forged sender's address
> that matches one of our lists is usually enough to trigger this sort of
> issue.
>
> The simple fix would be to simply follow the unsubscribe instructions at
> the bottom of every e-mail although I can understand folks being
> reluctant to do that for something that they think is spam.

Not all ASF mailing lists include unsubscribe instructions in the body
of the e-mail.
dev@vcl seems to be one such.

However, since the e-mails are not commercial, I suspect the can spam
act does not apply.

> I do wonder why folks can't find the unsubscribe instructions. It took
> me about 5 seconds to find the relevant information. I guess it helps
> that I know what I am looking for.
>
> I'll do a check of all our other lists to make sure they aren't
> subscribed anywhere else and I'll check Jira too.
>
> In terms of the FCC complaint, I'm not worried. The original
> subscription must have been confirmed by the user and we have the logs
> to show when that was. If that was caused by the user's poor choice of
> out-of-office settings (why anyone would send an ooo auto-reply outside
> of their own organisation given the volume of spam these days is beyond
> me but that is a topic for another venue) then that is the user's
> problem, not ours. Additionally, all our list messages include
> unsubscribe info.

Many lists only include the information in the e-mail headers.

find /home/apmail/public-arch -name 201409 -exec grep -L 'To
unsubscribe, e-mail:' {} \; | wc -l

720

This is not foolproof, but as far as I can tell seems to be reasonably accurate.