www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2014 20:47:27 GMT
On 25/09/2014 21:13, Andy Kurth wrote:
> Mr. Truesdale,
> I have unsubscribed the address gary.truesdale@hp.com from the
> dev@vcl.apache.org list.
>
> If you find that you regret leaving the list and participating as a
> member of our community, you can always resubscribe by simply sending an
> email message to dev-subscribe@vcl.apache.org.
>
> And then if you rethink things and decide the list just isn't for you,
> simply send an email message to dev-unsubscribe@vcl.apache.org.

I suspect a poorly configured out-of-office auto-reply is at the root of
this. That combined with some spam that uses a forged sender's address
that matches one of our lists is usually enough to trigger this sort of
issue.

The simple fix would be to simply follow the unsubscribe instructions at
the bottom of every e-mail although I can understand folks being
reluctant to do that for something that they think is spam.

I do wonder why folks can't find the unsubscribe instructions. It took
me about 5 seconds to find the relevant information. I guess it helps
that I know what I am looking for.

I'll do a check of all our other lists to make sure they aren't
subscribed anywhere else and I'll check Jira too.

In terms of the FCC complaint, I'm not worried. The original
subscription must have been confirmed by the user and we have the logs
to show when that was. If that was caused by the user's poor choice of
out-of-office settings (why anyone would send an ooo auto-reply outside
of their own organisation given the volume of spam these days is beyond
me but that is a topic for another venue) then that is the user's
problem, not ours. Additionally, all our list messages include
unsubscribe info.

Mark