www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Modify CLA for cases where there is no copyright (e.g., U.S. federal government employees)
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2014 23:47:01 GMT
On Aug 20, 2014, at 3:00 PM, Wheeler, David A wrote:

> For the U.S. federal government, the situation is fundamentally different.  As long as
only employees develop the software as part of their official duties, it doesn’t matter
how much creativity is represented by their work… it is *never* copyrightable in the US.

IIRC, the same government claims that such work is copyrightable outside
the US, which means the government (or person making the contribution)
does own the copyright over publication outside the US, which means they
do fit the definition of "You" as a legal entity in general (not specific
to the US), and since the Apache License is not limited to US jurisdiction
the entire argument that we need to change the CLA is false.

....Roy