www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Hunspell Dictionary Usage
Date Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:28:02 GMT
Hi,

Apache Flex was getting ready to ship a release of an ActionScript
spell-checker when we discovered that the dictionaries of the major
languages have LGPL-licensing.  Looks like the issue has been discussed
many times for other products like Lucene and AOO, but I would like a
ruling for Apache Flex:

Can Apache Flex:

1) Approve a release whose only capability uses LGPL dictionaries?
2) Integrate the code as an optional feature of the main Flex SDK?

The section of "Legal Resolved" that caught my eye is this:

-----
Can Apache projects rely on components whose licensing affects the Apache
product?Apache projects cannot distribute any such components. However, if
the component is only needed for optional features, a project can provide
the user with instructions on how to obtain and install the non-included
work. Optional means that the component is not required for standard use
of the product or for the product to achieve a desirable level of quality.
The question to ask yourself in this situation is:

* "Will the majority of users want to use my product without adding the
optional components?"
-----

>From that text, it implies the answer to #1 is no, and to #2 is yes.

Thanks in advance,