www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hunspell Dictionary Usage
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2014 01:24:28 GMT
On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In this case also:
> 1. This is a runtime dependancy not a compile time one
> 2. The dependancy is on the dictionary data format not on Hunspell code
> itself
> 3. Some dictionaries exist that are not GPL/LGPL but we were unable to
> find an English one

A runtime dependency upon (L)GPL'd data is just as onerous as
compile-time/code dependency.

If I cannot run Apache Flex without acquiring that (L)GPL data, then it
violates the guidelines. The end result must be "nothing more restrictive
than the Apache license".

As Alex notes, making it an optional feature is a great and perfectly
acceptable solution. You'll see similar approaches across the entire ASF.

Cheers,
-g