www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Hunspell Dictionary Usage
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2014 01:42:17 GMT
Hi,

> If I cannot run Apache Flex without acquiring that (L)GPL data, then it violates the
guidelines.
The Apache Flex SDK (now and future releases) can run fine without that data, the release
candidate of the spell checker (Squiggly) can also run without that data (as it supports user
defined dictionaries) but it's certainly less useful without a dictionary. Currently the Squiggly
README says where you can find these (Open Office extensions and Hunspell) but none are included.
[1]

> As Alex notes, making it an optional feature is a great and perfectly acceptable solution.
You'll see similar approaches across the entire ASF.
To make it an optional feature we would still need to release it as a separate package correct?
This is so that the FLEX installer can optionally download that and add to the SDK or someone
can optionally add it manually. Would it be enough for the README to clearly state that this
is an optional feature of the Apache Flex SDK?

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/tree/develop/Squiggly