www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Modify CLA for cases where there is no copyright (e.g., U.S. federal government employees)
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2014 19:12:19 GMT

On Aug 21, 2014, at 2:49 AM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

> But there is a real problem in that not all attorneys in positions to make decisions
that are important to the ASF agree with that.

> We could change their opinions by simply putting into the CLA that the individual contributor
either has the currently specified state of knowledge that there is a grant to the ASF or
that the contributor has reason to believe that there are no rights to grant due to the work
being a product of the US government.

> The solution is simple and it doesn't consist of you (Larry) trying to convince people
on this mailing list of the correctness of your views.  The simple solution is to add a clause
to the individual CLA.

The solution is even simpler: there is no problem. The iCLA is fine
the way it is and there is no need to change it due
to mistaken interpretations of it.