www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Modify CLA for cases where there is no copyright (e.g., U.S. federal government employees)
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2014 23:16:27 GMT
Larry Rosen proclaimed:

> If the work is not copyrighted (i.e., the work is written by a U.S.
government employee in the course or scope of his/her duties, or the work
predates the current copyright act), then the contribution is ours whether
the agency gives it to us or not.

David Wheeler bellowed:

> Not so.  It isn't yours - it isn't ANYONE's. And the CCLA doesn't
acknowledge the difference.

Larry Rosen boldly but pleasantly asserted:

As a member of the public, I claim joint ownership of the public domain. I
have a legal right of possession, the essential characteristic of ownership.
Do you dispute that? We all own the air we breathe, (often) the water we
drink, and the creative works that are our common heritage. Please don't
tell me that that stuff isn't MINE!

It is YOURS also. And whether you sign the CCLA or not, it is OURS.

:-)

/Larry