www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bundling an AL Font
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2014 20:02:07 GMT
On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> MIT and BSD conform with their license and instructions. The ALv2 handling
> does not (the copyright handling is not consistent with the
> http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html and is not *required* by
> the license). You didn't reference the NOTICE which is where the copyrights
> belong (assuming the bundled components have a NOTICE). If the bundled
> components don't have a NOTICE, then nothing is required...
>

> A further clarification if you don't mind, in the MIT and BSD cases info
> goes in LICENSE and not in NOTICE [1], but isn't Apache also considered a
> permissive license so shouldn't the same apply?

MIT and BSD are not ALv2. So, we need to take action to insure that the
license for these bundled dependencies is handled properly. Thus we add
their information to the LICENSE file. Also, MIT/BSD licenses are
project/organization specific. The license and copyright/organization
information are not separable. There have been questions, in the past,
about how to best handle the MIT/BSD licenses (whether we should update the
NOTICE file). The consensus was that the updates to our LICENSE file meets
the requirements of the licenses. So, no updates are needed to the NOTICE
file.

ALv2 is different. A NOTICE file is used for project/organization
information. Thus the difference.

> Is the advice at [1] a little misleading as in fact there are two cases
> one where the bundled software is released by the ASF (modify LICENSE only)
> and one where the bundled software is released by a 3rd party (NOTICE may
> also need to be modified?)

When bundling an ASF dependency, you may need to update the NOTICE. You
don't need to carry over any ASF-specific attribution, you may need to
carry over any non-ASF attributions.

> I'm just trying to understand this so I can do the right thing with
> reviewing / providing advice to  incubator projects and releasing software.

Hope this helps.

--kevan