www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Esteve Fernandez <est...@apache.org>
Subject using the apache cla for another project
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2014 16:23:19 GMT
Hi,

I'm an Apache Thrift PMC member and also work for the Open Source
Robotics Foundation (http://osrfoundation.org/), where we're thinking
of adopting a CLA model for contributions. Given that at the OSRF we
already release our code under the Apache 2.0 license and that we're a
nonprofit and public organization like the Apache Software Foundation,
we thought of following a similar approach to contributions. We'd like
to use the same CLAs because of the ASF approach to contributions is
widely accepted in the opensource world, which would help us lower the
barrier to contribute. However we have a question about the preface
and the overall text of the ICLA, namely this part:

"You accept and agree to the following terms and conditions for Your
present and future Contributions submitted to the Foundation. In
return, the Foundation shall not use Your Contributions in a way that
is contrary to the public benefit or inconsistent with its nonprofit
status and bylaws in effect at the time of the Contribution. Except
for the license granted herein to the Foundation and recipients of
software distributed by the Foundation, You reserve all right, title,
and interest in and to Your Contributions."

does this mean that if we (OSRF) use the same wording as the ASF ICLA
for our CLA, we can only relicense a contribution as long as it's
under another opensource license? (i.e. consistent with our nonprofit
and public status) We're happy with the Apache 2.0 license, but we
wonder if at some point we want to use a different opensource license
(e.g. MIT, Clear BSD, etc.) we won't be able to do so for
contributions.

Thanks.