www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: using the apache cla for another project
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2014 05:38:48 GMT
A few observations:

- Fundamentally, this is a question for your governance to ask
themselves, and consider against your current bylaws.  If I were in a
situation like this, I would probably consider that changing to release
under MIT would still be a sufficient public good.

- Why would you want to relicense under something besides the Apache
License anyway, once you've started with the Apache License?  I.e. do
you have a specific concern that's been raised and you're considering,
or is this just a hypothetical question?  (If so, I'd recommend focusing
on current work rather than future hypotheticals).

- If you're really concerned about this, then simply rewrite that
portion of the CLA, and use that.  Just be upfront in the documentation
about the difference; I don't think that small a difference if clearly
laid out would be a significant barrier to contributors. (Just IMO).

Good luck!

- Shane