www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Bundling an AL Font
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2014 16:00:14 GMT
Hi,

> MIT and BSD conform with their license and instructions. The ALv2 handling does not (the
copyright handling is not consistent with the http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
and is not *required* by the license). You didn't reference the NOTICE which is where the
copyrights belong (assuming the bundled components have a NOTICE). If the bundled components
don't have a NOTICE, then nothing is required...

A further clarification if you don't mind, in the MIT and BSD cases info goes in LICENSE and
not in NOTICE [1], but isn't Apache also considered a permissive license so shouldn't the
same apply?

Is the advice at [1] a little misleading as in fact there are two cases one where the bundled
software is released by the ASF (modify LICENSE only) and one where the bundled software is
released by a 3rd party (NOTICE may also need to be modified?)

I'm just trying to understand this so I can do the right thing with reviewing / providing
advice to  incubator projects and releasing software.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps