www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Asking on users@ for release candidate testers
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2014 08:21:05 GMT
If I understood the debate correctly, the release process is in place to provide protection
to the release manager by making the release an act of the foundation (or better: the project
PMC) rather than of the individual release manager alone. E.g. the PMC should should check
if legal standards are met (LICENSE, NOTICE, etc.) and so on.

I would imagine that if a formal vote was passed by the PMC on a release candidate, basically
running the RC through the release process but not calling it yet a final release due to a
public testing period, then the RC would meet the same standards and could be advertised on
users list. However, this is just my opinion/suggestion to the group as a humble developer
- I am not a lawyer or anything the likes.

However, the question would be why not to simply call it a proper release, collect feedback
from the community, and then do a bugfix release (if necessary) soon after.

Cheers,

-- Richard

On 30.06.2014, at 09:22, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> From [1]:
> "During the process of developing software and preparing a release, various packages
are made available to the developer community for testing purposes. Do not include any links
on the project website that might encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds,
snapshots, release candidates, or any other similar package. The only people who are supposed
to know about such packages are the people following the dev list (or searching its archives)
and thus aware of the conditions placed on the package. If you find that the general public
are downloading such test packages, then remove them."

we shouldn't advertise RCs on the users@ ML.  I'd be happy to be wrong.

> [1] http://apache.org/dev/release.html

Let's fix it any doc that implies otherwise...

> On Jun 30, 2014 12:00 AM, "Alex Harui" <aharui@adobe.com<mailto:aharui@adobe.com>>
wrote:
> Hi, it's me again.
>
> Today's debate is about whether Apache Flex can email its users@ ML and ask folks there
to help us test the current release candidate.  I think current release policy says no.  But
is there a loophole where we can email users@ and ask folks to join dev@ in order to find
out how to test the RC?