www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Headers and Donations
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2014 19:45:14 GMT
On 04.06.2014, at 16:45, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> Mark Struberg asked:
>> Larry, do you question whether a substantial different code constitutes an
> 'own work' and thus might get changed to (s) ASF, or do you question whether
> Alex (while working for his company) has no right to add (c) ASF to his
> originary written code?
>
> I question both.

So what does this mean in reverse?:

Is it ok to add employer copyright headers to ASF source files if the work has
been done under a contract (and under a contributor agreement)?

Or can / should / must such a copyright mention at least be added to the closes
NOTICE file?

I can see nothing in the ICLA or CCLA that would actually transfer the original
copyright to the ASF and that should mean that it remains with the original
contributor. Yet, it appears (to me) to be common practice that contributions
after the initial donation get a copyright credited to the ASF.

Cheers,

-- Richard