www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Headers and Donations
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2014 23:23:28 GMT
Hi,

I have a question about how to handle this scenario:

Apache Flex has been downloading and using this MD5 code as part of the
build process:
http://code.google.com/p/as3corelib/source/browse/trunk/src/com/adobe/crypt
o/MD5Stream.as?spec=svn61&r=61

It is too slow, so I hand-optimized it, and ended up rewriting everything
from line 70 to the end of the file to get acceptable performance
(basically by in-lining most of the functions).

Questions:
1) Can I check my version into the Apache Flex repo?  I keep seeing emails
mentioning that Apache projects don't "take" code.  Yes, I work for the
same company that wrote this code, but I probably don't have the
authorization to "donate" it, and it has not been a quick process to get
other code donated.  But now the code is substantially different from the
original.
2) Can I change the header to an Apache header?  I'm pretty sure I'm not
supposed to if we were using the original code intact, but again, now it
is substantially different.

Thanks,
-Alex