www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bundling an AL Font
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2014 23:47:55 GMT
On 24 June 2014 00:41, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm confused. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep
> precisely addresses your scenario. If not, please explain.
>

> There are two different cases with ALs as far as I can see. One when you are
> bundling a ALv2 project that was created by the ASF in that case there no
> need to do anything as both the licence and copyright are the same.

Not necessarily. An ASF project NOTICE can include additionall attributions.
If another project bundles it all, then it likely needs to update its
attribution list.

> But in
> the second case when it's 3rd party ALv2 bundled software copyright the 3rd
> party how and where do you attribute copyright? For source code the source
> header seem to be the answer, but it does seems a little odd to me that you
> would need to look at all the source headers to discover the full list of
> copyright owners, rather than look in a single place.For fonts that gets a
> bit harder as they are binary files.

AIUI one only has to look at the LICENSE and NOTICE files that apply
to the 3rd party code.

> So should you add a pointer to the LICENCE  pointer with the copyright as
> per "bundling permissively licences dependancies" as APv2 is a permissive
> licence, should it go in the NOTICE file or even elsewhere?

Once you have established the LICENSE (and NOTICE if any) that apply
to the 3rd party code, the normal process applies.