www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is a "dependency SUBTREE" ?
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2014 23:19:02 GMT
On 23 June 2014 23:25, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
> I assume "subtree" is referring to transitive dependencies. Where in some
> dependency management systems (e.g. maven) where a "dependency" may have
> multiple dependencies, itself. I recall that some projects felt they only
> needed to deal with their direct dependencies, not the transitive
> dependencies.

Huh?

AIUI, the NOTICE and LICENSE only apply to bits which are actually
bundled in the archive to which the N&L apply.
Transitivie dependencies are irrelevant for the purposes of the N&L
contents. Only the bits actually in the bundle count.

ASF projects can depend on 3rd party code with any licence whatsoever.
However, if the license is incompatible with the AL then the
dependency must be optional, i.e. the code must work without the
dependency. This is a separate issue from the contents of N&L.