www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Continuous release review
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 15:18:59 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Stephen Connolly
<stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 2 June 2014, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My argument is that at least in some cases it would be better to
>> review and vote on the sources that go into the release than the
>> artifact itself. It would be nice if we could find a way to adapt the
>> policy to allow also such a release process.
>
> We vote on the source bundle and only the source bundle as I understand
> things. Convenience binaries are something separate unless I am mistaken...

My point is *not* about convenience binaries (they might benefit as a
side-effect, but that's not the main point here).

For example, if you review and vote on releasing a specific revision
in the SCM, what's the added benefit of repeating the process on the
source bundle produced from that revision?

> If that context is correct then the benefit of a CI server is just wrt
> testing across multiple platforms.

In addition to the "download, build, test" verification, a build
server could remove the manual steps of packaging, signing and
deploying a release. Besides speeding up the process, such a release
build would significantly reduce the risk of mistakes inherent in
doing these steps manually. I've seen (and made) mistakes in all of
these steps.

BR,

Jukka Zitting