www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bundling an AL Font
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 05:14:17 GMT
On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> > Not necessarily. An ASF project NOTICE can include additionall
> attributions.
>
> For simplicity sake I was assuming that no NOTICE file exist the 3rd party
> code.

In that case you don't need to do anything.

If there was a NOTICE file, you must include all non-ASF attributions that
apply to your usage (there's no need to copy the ASF attributions).

Without a NOTICE file, in the distributed binary or original source(I try
to check if .jar files don't include a NOTICE. Some projects aren't good
about building jars with LICENSE/NOTICE files), you don't need to do
anything. I downloaded the Open-Sans source, and don't see a NOTICE file
there. You should verify this...

> > Once you have established the LICENSE (and NOTICE if any) that apply
> > to the 3rd party code, the normal process applies.
>
> So where does the copyright attribution go?

In the absence of a NOTICE file? Nowhere, IMO. If the producers of
Open-Sans wanted a copyright attribution, they would have (should have)
created a NOTICE file. You can always verify with the producers to see if
they made a mistake.

> To put in context the current situation with the fonts is that we have
> binary files (the font files) in a release that there no clear indication
> what the license is or where they come from). You can assume that they are
> Apache licensed (as no other license is indicated) but anyone reviewing the
> release may want to know more information, like where they come from and
> the original copyright owner may want attribution and/or it may be legally
> required.

To handle this, I would put something like the following in the LICENSE
file:

The <path-to-open-sans-font-file-in-your-source-distribution> is licensed
under Apache License, Version 2.0.

You can find similar examples from other LICENSE files. For example --
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE

--kevan