www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is a "dependency SUBTREE" ?
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 06:08:18 GMT
On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 4:19 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Huh?
>
> AIUI, the NOTICE and LICENSE only apply to bits which are actually
> bundled in the archive to which the N&L apply.

We're in violent agreement.

>  Transitivie dependencies are irrelevant for the purposes of the N&L
> contents. Only the bits actually in the bundle count.

OK. So, we only care about the bits that are bundled in the archive.
"transitive dependencies" or "dependency subtree" may include bits which
are not included in the archive. A maven pom file (using a specific
example) will declare dependencies used to build a bundle. maven may
include bits in the bundle to satisfy the transitive dependencies, some
bits may be excluded, etc.

"dependency subtree" is potentially too broad. Likewise, "dependency" in
the context of some build technologies can be too narrow.

So, I've described why I think "dependency subtree" was used. In all cases
we care what ends up in the bundle, not how it got there. After (re)reading
the howto, it looks like all of this is pretty well covered in the document
already. If you want to replace "dependency subtree" with a more accurate
alternative (e.g. "bundled dependencies", "bundled bits", etc), that would
be fine with me.

I'll note that the howto is not a product of (or maintained by) legal
affairs. So, there may be others that you want to check with...

> ASF projects can depend on 3rd party code with any licence whatsoever.
> However, if the license is incompatible with the AL then the
> dependency must be optional, i.e. the code must work without the
> dependency. This is a separate issue from the contents of N&L.

Again we agree.

--kevan