www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Continuous release review
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:33:24 GMT
wrote:

>> Well you were the one, IIRC, that said PMC members must/should (not sure
>> which but definitely not could) "download, build and test"...
>
> Here are my quotes:
>
>   People perform releases. They can use whatever tools
>   they want, but at the end, the only validation check
>   that really matters are those PMC members who test,
>   validate and +1 the release.

Our policy page currently says that we have to download, build and test
locally.

    http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release

    What are the ASF requirements on approving a release?

    [...] Before voting +1 PMC members are required to download the signed
    source code package, compile it as provided, and test the resulting
    executable on their own platform, [...]

> You may be referring to:
>

>> For example, do we really need for everyone to download, compile and
>> test the code before casting a +1, when a CI server can do this just
>> as well if not better.
>
>   Yes. Yes we do.
>
> Note that this was in response to the concept of "rubber
> stamping" a release, the idea being that anything out
> of a CI is already assumed to be +1 worthy.

You and I seem to have interpreted that specific passage from Jukka in
different ways.

Here's the full context:

    For example, do we really need for everyone to download, compile and
    test the code before casting a +1, when a CI server can do this just
    as well if not better. Could those requirements for the +1 be met by
    simply checking whether the relevant CI build (run on the specific
    release candidate) is green?

With that in mind, I took your answer as "Yes. Yes, we must compile build and
test locally and inspecting CI is not acceptable substitute for that."

Marvin Humphrey