www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: What is a "dependency SUBTREE" ?
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2014 04:56:06 GMT
On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> The License how-to [1] contains 2 instances of the phrase "dependency subtree".
>
> What is the purpose of the word "subtree" ?

That's presumably my wording.

I meant a file system subtree: a directory containing only IP
belonging to the dependency.  For instance, an expanded source
tarball.

That Kevan interpreted "subtree" differently is surprising to me, and
I'm glad that the matter was raised.

> Seems to me that a dependency may be a single file, or set of files.
> Why should it occupy a separate subtree?

Indeed, it could be a single file.  I guess that how to adapt the
instructions for "subtree" in the case of a single-file dependency
seemed straightforward to me.

> Should the 2 instances of "subtree" be redacted?

I'm satisfied with the final edit which was performed.
(s/dependency subtree/bundled dependency/g)

Marvin Humphrey