www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Asking on users@ for release candidate testers
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:11:00 GMT
Why not just set up a mailing list for testing releases and that way you
can encourage users to sign up as "testers" that way they are not the
general public.

For the artifacts to be distributed from ASF hardware (other that peoples
~username sites AFAIR) then they need to be voted on and released.

You could distribute them from non-ASF hardware, but then the people
creating those binaries now have to *personally* worry about whether they
are covered in the event that a virus/trojan was bundled in the binary, etc
as the binary is being distributed from *their* hardware (or from their
~username site on apache.org)

So if the dev@ list is too scary, I would just set up a qa or
release-testers list. That way you can call them out and give credit for
their assistance when the release is cut, and you can safely publish links
in that list.