www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Continuous release review
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 14:19:22 GMT
On Monday, 2 June 2014, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > You may be referring to:
> >>
> >> For example, do we really need for everyone to download, compile and
> >> test the code before casting a +1, when a CI server can do this just
> >> as well if not better.
> >
> >   Yes. Yes we do.
> >
> > Note that this was in response to the concept of "rubber
> > stamping" a release, the idea being that anything out
> > of a CI is already assumed to be +1 worthy.
>
> At least I read your response more literally, thanks for clarifying.
>
> > So tell me, assuming that you also agree w/ the idea
> > that an artifact out of a CI should not be blindly rubber-
> > stamped w/ a +1, what process would you go through to
> > convince you, for yourself, that it is ready for release?
>
> The point that I'm trying to make here is that if we can guarantee
> that what goes into a build is ready for release (reviewed, voted on,
> etc.), then the output of the build (assuming the build server is
> properly built and maintained for this purpose) should equally be OK
> to release. At least I don't see any of Bertrand's invariants being
> violated. Am I mistaken?
>
> > Again, we vote on a release artifact.
>
> My argument is that at least in some cases it would be better to
> review and vote on the sources that go into the release than the
> artifact itself. It would be nice if we could find a way to adapt the
> policy to allow also such a release process.

We vote on the source bundle and only the source bundle as I understand
things. Convenience binaries are something separate unless I am mistaken...
If that context is correct then the benefit of a CI server is just wrt
testing across multiple platforms.

(Now many projects vote and release binaries, and perhaps we should elivate
the status of binaries from their current low levels, but Apache is about
the source first)