www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Continuous release review
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:25:59 GMT

On Jun 2, 2014, at 4:34 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> 4) The PMC votes to make the release an act of the foundation
> 5) All PMC members are given a fair chance to take part in release votes

These 2 are the only ones which, it appears, are
the current topic of discussion. For #5 is issue seems
to be the reasoning behind the 72 hour rule.

#4 is the "main" issue, as I see it. And it appears that
I must be making myself especially unclear or else
my position is being (deliberately) misinterpreted.

First of all, there is/was an argument that a successful
artifact out of a CI was a de-facto "approved release" by
a PMC (basically, that there is/was no need for people
to vote on it, since the CI system could do a better
job than anyone)... I *hope* that this is now no longer
believed nor something that anyone considers valid.
I think we all (now) know that we (the ASF) require
the 3 +1 votes on a release.

Now I think where we might be having some trouble
understanding each other is "what does a vote entail."
For me, a vote is not simply a "rubber stamping" of
an artifact/release ("Hey, it passed the CI, good
enough for me. +1"). After all, if it's just a
rubber stamp then it could be argued "why vote at
all? It's just unnecessary process"...

Recall again that one way in which a PMC knows it's
in trouble related to its health is when it finds
itself un-able to find 3 PMC members to vote +1
on a release. Now this concern *only* makes sense,
and has validity, when it is assumed that the +1
votes are not rubber stamps as well.

So the lynchpin in all this is that the vote are
personal actions by PMC members; they are conscious
and direct actions. One way that this is done in
by the voter doing their own "QA test" on the release
artifact. Now my QA testing will not be the same
as yours, and I am not specifying any "requirements"
of that testing other than "it should not be a
rubber stamp.". Whatever it takes for someone to
feel comfortable voting +1 is sufficient.

My point is that automatically rubber stamping anything
with a +1 is dangerous, and bypasses and "ignores" the
social aspect (and social health check of doing a release)
that forms a basis of how the ASF produces (and releases)
s/w.

I hope this clears some things up.