www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about ICLA
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2014 08:30:32 GMT
On 20/06/2014 18:25, Flavio Junqueira wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've had this question before and I didn't get a clear answer, so I was
> wondering what the answer really is. This page:
>
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/
>
> says that it is desirable that all contributors sign an ICLA, being
> mandatory only for committers. What does desirable mean precisely?

Look it up in your favourite dictionary for a precise definition.

> I interpret it as "good but not necessary".

That is a reasonable interpretation.

> Also, this seems to imply that
> it is the responsibility of a committer to clear up any IP issues when
> getting code into the repository,

The person committing the code has the responsibility to confirm that
there are no IP issues. Generally the word of the contributor that they
wrote the code and want to contribute it is enough. If the contributor
mentions porting the code from somewhere else or basing it on an other
implementation then the committer needs to start asking a few more
questions to make sure that the code can be committed. Copyright headers
and non-ALv2 license headers should obviously trigger questions.
Ultimately it comes down to the committer exercising judgement.

> and I assume that a contributor
> uploading a patch to jira is a declaration of his/her intention to grant
> the code to ASF, which isn't clear if it is enough.

Yes, that is sufficient.

<aside>
Personally, I think some Apache projects spend far too much time
worrying about getting ICLAs from every contributor. There are no
limitations on size in Section 5 of the ALv2.  I tend to take the view
that anyone contributing something significant enough that people start
thinking about ICLAs should probably be being made a committer any way.
</aside>

Mark