www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Continuous release review
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 16:43:35 GMT
Le 02/06/2014 17:18, Jukka Zitting a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Stephen Connolly
> <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Monday, 2 June 2014, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My argument is that at least in some cases it would be better to
>>> review and vote on the sources that go into the release than the
>>> artifact itself. It would be nice if we could find a way to adapt the
>>> policy to allow also such a release process.
>> We vote on the source bundle and only the source bundle as I understand
>> things. Convenience binaries are something separate unless I am mistaken...
> My point is *not* about convenience binaries (they might benefit as a
> side-effect, but that's not the main point here).
>
> For example, if you review and vote on releasing a specific revision
> in the SCM, what's the added benefit of repeating the process on the
> source bundle produced from that revision?
AFAIU, there are two different things. As the bundle is produced by a
automated tool (can be the maven packaging phase), the result can be
*very* different from what we get when pulling the revision from the
repository.

I usually do :
- pull the source from repo, build, test
- fetch the package, untar, build, test

I already experienced some differences, until we get a stabilized
packaging phase.