www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Bundling an AL Font
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2014 23:41:50 GMT
Hi,

> I'm confused. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep precisely addresses
your scenario. If not, please explain.

There are two different cases with ALs as far as I can see. One when you are bundling a ALv2
project that was created by the ASF in that case there no need to do anything as both the
licence and copyright are the same. But in the second case when it's 3rd party ALv2 bundled
software copyright the 3rd party how and where do you attribute copyright? For source code
the source header seem to be the answer, but it does seems a little odd to me that you would
need to look at all the source headers to discover the full list of copyright owners, rather
than look in a single place.For fonts that gets a bit harder as they are binary files.

So should you add a pointer to the LICENCE  pointer with the copyright as per "bundling permissively
licences dependancies" as APv2 is a permissive licence, should it go in the NOTICE file or
even elsewhere?

Thanks,
Justin