www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Continuous release review
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:17:06 GMT

On Jun 2, 2014, at 7:41 AM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 2 June 2014, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>
> On Jun 2, 2014, at 4:34 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> > 4) The PMC votes to make the release an act of the foundation
> > 5) All PMC members are given a fair chance to take part in release votes
> >

> These 2 are the only ones which, it appears, are
> the current topic of discussion. For #5 is issue seems
> to be the reasoning behind the 72 hour rule.
>
> #4 is the "main" issue, as I see it. And it appears that
> I must be making myself especially unclear or else
> my position is being (deliberately) misinterpreted.
>
> Well you were the one, IIRC, that said PMC members must/should (not sure which but definitely
not could) "download, build and test"...

Here are my quotes:

  People perform releases. They can use whatever tools
  they want, but at the end, the only validation check
  that really matters are those PMC members who test,
  validate and +1 the release.

You may be referring to:

> For example, do we really need for everyone to download, compile and
> test the code before casting a +1, when a CI server can do this just
> as well if not better.

  Yes. Yes we do.

Note that this was in response to the concept of "rubber
stamping" a release, the idea being that anything out
of a CI is already assumed to be +1 worthy.

So tell me, assuming that you also agree w/ the idea
that an artifact out of a CI should not be blindly rubber-
stamped w/ a +1, what process would you go through to
convince you, for yourself, that it is ready for release?

Again, we vote on a release artifact.