www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <fpjunque...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Question about ICLA
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2014 17:25:52 GMT
Hello!

I've had this question before and I didn't get a clear answer, so I was wondering what the
answer really is. This page:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/

says that it is desirable that all contributors sign an ICLA, being mandatory only for committers.
What does desirable mean precisely? I interpret it as "good but not necessary". Also, this
seems to imply that it is the responsibility of a committer to clear up any IP issues when
getting code into the repository, and I assume that a contributor uploading a patch to jira
is a declaration of his/her intention to grant the code to ASF, which isn't clear if it is
enough.

Is my interpretation correct?

Thanks,
-Flavio