www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject RE: Headers and Donations
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2014 06:35:26 GMT

 Subject: RE: Headers and Donations
 To: legal-discuss@apache.org
 Cc: "Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
 Date: Wednesday, 4 June, 2014, 1:49

 Alex, please ask your
 employer that question. /Larry

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]

 Sent: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 4:23 PM
 To: legal-discuss@apache.org
 Subject: Headers and Donations

 Hi,

 I have a question about how to handle this
 scenario:

 Apache Flex has
 been downloading and using this MD5 code as part of the
 build process:
 http://code.google.com/p/as3corelib/source/browse/trunk/src/com/adobe/crypt
 o/MD5Stream.as?spec=svn61&r=61

 It is too slow, so I
 hand-optimized it, and ended up rewriting everything
 from line 70 to the end of the file to get
 acceptable performance (basically
 by
 in-lining most of the functions).

 Questions:
 1) Can I check my
 version into the Apache Flex repo?  I keep seeing emails
 mentioning that Apache projects don't
 "take" code.  Yes, I work for the same
 company that wrote this code, but I probably
 don't have the authorization to
 "donate" it, and it has not been a
 quick process to get other code donated.
 But
 now the code is substantially different from the
 original.
 2) Can I change the header to an
 Apache header?  I'm pretty sure I'm not
 supposed to if we were using the original code
 intact, but again, now it is
 substantially
 different.

 Thanks,