www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Headers and Donations
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2014 23:49:25 GMT
Alex, please ask your employer that question. /Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 4:23 PM
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Subject: Headers and Donations

Hi,

I have a question about how to handle this scenario:

Apache Flex has been downloading and using this MD5 code as part of the
build process:
http://code.google.com/p/as3corelib/source/browse/trunk/src/com/adobe/crypt
o/MD5Stream.as?spec=svn61&r=61

It is too slow, so I hand-optimized it, and ended up rewriting everything
from line 70 to the end of the file to get acceptable performance (basically
by in-lining most of the functions).

Questions:
1) Can I check my version into the Apache Flex repo?  I keep seeing emails
mentioning that Apache projects don't "take" code.  Yes, I work for the same
company that wrote this code, but I probably don't have the authorization to
"donate" it, and it has not been a quick process to get other code donated.
But now the code is substantially different from the original.
2) Can I change the header to an Apache header?  I'm pretty sure I'm not
supposed to if we were using the original code intact, but again, now it is
substantially different.

Thanks,
-Alex