www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Continuous release review
Date Fri, 30 May 2014 18:32:47 GMT

On 5/30/14 10:28 AM, "Jim Jagielski" <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:

>On May 30, 2014, at 1:09 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>> The question is, if I get those votes in the first 24 hours, and
>> historically, after key folks who typically vote have voted (usually,
>> 24-48 hours), what value is there to waiting the full 72?
>>

>The possibility of a -1... or more than 1 -1...??
But under that logic, why not make it 75 hours or 96 hours?  I don't think
Flex will make it 1 hour or even 8 hours, especially for the first RC.

>The impression that opinions and inputs of people who
>don't work full-time, and paid, on a project, are important
>and valued?
Actually, Flex cannot get 3 votes without votes from part-time unpaid
volunteers.  So at least some of them have had their say, but once they've
spoken, if the probability a bug will be found by waiting another 24 hours
is less than by distributing sooner (because then more folks actually try
the code and start reporting bugs), why aren't we showing we value the
community more by shipping sooner?

>Those are 2 just off the top of my head. Of course,
>if someone doesn't care about the social collaborative
>aspects of Apache projects, then they would not consider
>those reasons as sufficient.
>
>But they would be wrong.
Actually, I think I am suggesting that social collaboration is more
important than a 72 hour rule.  IOW, that the vote period be determined by
community behavior.  If the key voters vote early, we could send out a
"last call" and see if anyone else is even planning to vote.  And again,
for late RC's with only minor changes to README/RELEASE_NOTES, if our
community behavior trends indicate relatively few in the community are
interested in going through the approval process for some minor change,
can we count their votes from previous RCs, or can they vote without truly
following every step, and can we close out the vote short of 72 hours?

That said, I am open to the notion that there is some tweak needed to the
Apache Flex community.  I believe they are accustomed to the Adobe days
where they were passive sheep being fed Adobe releases.   We have tried to
encourage their participation in voting on release candidates but we
rarely get more than a one or two non-PMC votes even though we do wait the
72 hours.  But in the 72 hours after we ship an Apache Flex release, we
usually get reports of regressions.  I assume it is just because these
folks are busy and counting on the PMC is going to do all of the
heavy-lifting like Adobe did.  They want it to be official before trying
it.  They don't want to spend the time testing an RC when that RC may not
be the one that makes it out the door and then have to find more time to
test the next RC.  Suggestions on how to get more folks involved are
certainly welcome.

Thanks,
-Alex